ZME Science: Yes, a quantum internet is possible, new study shows

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 16:15:20 PST 2018

On 31/12/18 00:50, Punk wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:21:06 +0000 (UTC)
> jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ZME Science: Yes, a quantum internet is possible, new study shows.
>> https://www.zmescience.com/research/technology/quantum-internet-possible-26122018/
>>

> 	So what happens when a 'quantum' link used to send keys is
> 	tapped? Does the key still get through?

Yes, but.

Initially it was thought that cloning the signal (as required for
tapping it) is impossible due to the no-cloning theorem, part of quantum
physics.

Therein would lie the untappable nature of Quantum links. Physics itself
would protect you.

However it was later realised that the no-cloning theorem only says you
can't clone a quantum state perfectly - it doesn't say you can't clone
it at all.

There are several techniques which can be used for partial cloning, some
such as the well-known 1->2UQC have hard theoretical limits of 5/6
perfection - ie 5 photons in 6 can be cloned.

Others have higher limits. I think there is even one which doesn't have
any theoretical limits apart from "not absolutely perfect", but these
are harder to implement.

While it is possible to design a quantum key exchange machine to defeat
1->2UQC cloning attacks by taking advantage of the statistical
limitations of the 1->2UQC cloning process, as far as I am aware
(admittedly not very far) none of the machines in existence do so.

Plus, a secure authenticated side-channel is required to prevent MITM
attacks.

Quantum cryptography is not very useful for anything (except maybe
getting research funding).

Happy New Year to all!

Peter Fairbrother