Wardialing Modems Guerrilla Network Opensource Cyberspace [re: Tim May]

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 10:25:55 PST 2018

 This was probably due to mechanical (Strowger, Crossbar) mechanical switches.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbar_switch     ×
 These had a very limited ability to make connections; only a small proportion of telephones on a given switch could call each other at a given time.   I believe these were called "blocking switches".
These things, called "switches", often had the ability to connect to 10,000 subscriber loops.Later, electronic telephone switches allowed more extensive connections.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_switching_system   ×The big problem is, these switches might have been replaced only after decades of use.  It probably didn't take all that many long-term (modem) connections to use up a mechanical switch's connection ability.
              Jim Bell