Wardialing Modems Guerrilla Network Opensource Cyberspace [re: Tim May]

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Thu Dec 27 06:59:15 PST 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 05:12:18AM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> [Now using proper Subject tech...]
>
> If you have a line, you can still dial each other
> and negotiate up to 33.8kbps v.34bis,
> add better software compression (zstd) instead
> of depending on v.44, and add encryption algos
> on each end. v.92 56k needed an ISP end to work.
>
> Companies like US Robotics and Zoom might still
> make v.34bis hardware modems... see USR5637.
> Lots of modems on used market.
>
> Full hardware modem with PCM DSP is needed
> to do elite first pass random phone scanning that
> analyzes the analog instead of depending on
> successful second stage "V." negotiation.
> Plus you get as bonus all the WAV recordings of:
> "Hello... Helloooooo?! WTF!!!" ;-)
>
> Anyone still have that analysis software?
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ITU-T_V-series_recommendations
>
> You could probably do just as well creating your
> own modems with today's DIY hardware platforms
> in your local Makerspace. Opensource it on Github.

I found my high school's SCO Unix system using Toneloc back in the day
(and a ton of other shit too...)

I'd leave that thing running on my 286 all day long, like 8am - 4pm,
for weeks at a time.

I understand that WarVOX is at least one of the more modern incarnations
of Toneloc, uses VoIP to make a bunch of calls at the same time, other
neat tricks. I haven't actually used it as I did with toneloc, when I
was a kid :)

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7