how to use mobile phone GPS without a SIM card?

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Fri Dec 21 12:02:02 PST 2018

On 12/21/18 1:21 PM, juan wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 18:06:36 +1100
> Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>

>> Any ideas why GPS would require a SIM card?
>
> 	it's because amont the millions of lines of malware known as "androido" there's one that says : if (no_sim()) disable_gps();

Makes sense to me.  Why should a phone's real owner permit its user to
access GPS location data without reporting same back to the owner?  That
free ride would amount to theft of service.

Letting GPS work with the radio off would be as silly as designing a
mobile phone's case to permit quick, easy battery removal and
replacement - the phone's owner decides when "off means off," not the
user.