Tim May (fwd)

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sat Dec 15 05:56:45 PST 2018

Forwarding without attribution from another list I'm on:

> Date: 14 Dec 2018 22:27:00
> Subject: Tim May
>
> I am sorry to report that Tim May has passed away, apparently of
> natural causes.  I know that Tim was a controversial figure on this
> list.  Actually, I can't think of any list or community where Tim was
> not a controversial figure!  But, to those of us who were his fans,
> Tim was a giant.  My condolences to all of you.

I have not seen independent confirmation or an obituary, and his Wikipedia page isn't updated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_C._May

Among other things, that page mentions: "Writings on cryptography and privacy: May was a founding member of, and has been one of the most voluminous contributors to, Cypherpunks electronic mailing list. He wrote extensively on cryptography and privacy from the 1990s through 2003."

  - gbn