[Cryptography] Krugman blockchain currency skepticism

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 00:42:22 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 4:11 PM, Benjamin Kreuter <brk7bx at virginia.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 14:11 +0800, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

> As others have asked, what is the problem we want to solve?  The
> beginning of this thread was a proposal that the problem is that the
> government might target an activist group's finances.  Now it sounds
> like you are talking about the government trying to attack the entire
> payment system.

That is indeed a valid problem.
Among many others in many sectors and applications.

>> A crypto currency needs to be centerless - it needs to able to
>> survive the seizure of key servers by a hostile powerful party.

True, a properly decentralized cryptocurrency has no such
seizable / sueable servers.

Decentralization is under attack in more ways than most people
realize, not just by the purposeful noise deluge of junk / centralized
coins, tokens, ico's... but also by very insidious methods.
As an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHFrf5ci_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BZoKH-hX_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKYEQVPklLI
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bitcoin+censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/6rxw7k/informative_btc_vs_bch_articles/dl8v4lp/

Whether you're a user, code / crypto developer, business,
whatever... you need to understand these things and be able
to spot them, call them out, and exchange and adopt away
from them once they happen. In the cryptocurrency space,
there is no birthright, let alone against treason, or any other
lesser offense.

A bit more from the series...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZaLbUUZUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgts1qb0hLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGrUOLsC9cw

> Get back to me when the Internet itself cannot be shut down by the
> government.

For so long as free speech, encryption, and overlay networks exist,
cryptocurrency and the internet cannot be shutdown. If you accept,
either personally or as a populace, the shutting of your connection
and or the disablement of your crypto, for mere agnostic tool use,
and for no provable reason otherwise, then you're fucked.
If the Four Hoursemen of the Infocalypse didn't do it already, then the
only thing left is a bonafide threat to the existance of government itself...
to its taxes collected by force. Once people worldwide start to figure out
they can bypass the redundancy, inefficiency, non choice, war, etc of
governments by moving their transactions onto the encrypted blockchain
networks... that's the last game... you either sheeple out forever into a
questionable existance, or make your stand. Don't be a sheeple..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=banks+fear+bitcoin
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=governments+fear+bitcoin

[bcc cypherpunks]