Is this phishing?

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Aug 3 07:48:42 PDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 02:22:06PM -0700, Mirimir wrote:
> On 08/01/2018 01:20 PM, jim bell wrote:
> > Your membership in the mailing list cypherpunks has been disabled due
> > to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> > 01-Aug-2018.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
> > you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 2 more reminders like
> > this before your membership in the list is deleted.
> >
> > To re-enable your membership, you can simply respond to this message
> > (leaving the Subject: line intact), or visit the confirmation page at
> >
> >     https://lists.cpunks.org/mailman/confirm/c   [rest deleted]
> >

> > You can also visit your membership page at
> >
> >     https://lists.cpunks.org/mailman/options/cyph [rest deleted]
> >

> > On your membership page, you can change various delivery options such
> > as your email address and whether you get digests or not.  As a
> > reminder, your membership password is
> >
> > [deleted]
> > If you have any questions or problems, you can contact the list owner
> > at
> >
> >     cypherpunks-owner at lists.cpunks.org
>
> I've gotten them before, and ignored them.
>
> But I don't think that they're phishing. Just trigger-happy list
> software, I think.

I broke the mail server on synfin.org yesterday for a few hours in a
fscked up upgrade of freebsd/postfix... I didn't get this message,
though, must not have been down long enough :P

But, yeah - not phishing, just make sure any links are actually pointing
to https://lists.cpunks.org/mailman/xxxx, don't open any PDFs or other
attachments - mailman will never send that kind of stuff out.

--
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4  C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7