Scholarships for Security Certification

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Thu Sep 14 17:44:09 PDT 2017

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 01:10:58PM -0400, John Newman wrote:
>> These "ethical hacker" degree programs are, IMO, basically a scam.
>> I've screened ppl for interviews at work and basically learned to ignore
>> anyone whose only significant qualification is one of these programs...
>>
>> Amazing how they can get certified and not even know the diff
>> between the passwd & shadow file, or su vs sudo, or the most
>> BASIC shit...
>>

> It is highly profitable to be CISO (chief info security officer),
> read that salaries are 1M euro/year. Probably such positions require as
> many certificates as possible.

Yeah I'm sure a lot of CISOs have their CISSP.

I doubt many bother with any of the shady "ethical hacker"
crap, but I could be totally wrong. I don't see a whole lot of
value in the CISSP either, personally.

I do have my CCNA from like 15 years ago, and I'm also
Sun E-10k certified, though I've never touched such
a device in my life ;). It was a requirement that a certain
number of employees get the cert at a previous job
for them to maintain some reseller bullshit or something,
I don't remember ... ;)

Fucking classes are useless. If you want to study, get a EE or
CS degree (or one of the newer mash ups that wasn't around
when I went to college, like a BS in Computer Engineering).

Obviously it's not a vocational thing like the ethical bullshit, but
probably more valuable. IME best ppl are often total autodidacts.