Why I can't sleep soundly with blockchain, being the cypherpunk

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:43:17 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:22 PM, vdo <vdo at greyfaze.net> wrote:
> https://themerkle.com/blocksci-succesfully-traces-transactions-performed-with-dash-zcash-and-other-currencies/

The article is shit.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1709.02489.pdf

The whitepaper clearly states
- They demoed breaks in BTC, BCC, LTC, NMC, DASH.
- They excluded Monero and Ethereum from research, because they didn't
want to bother authoring code structures to read their chain formats, etc.
- They excluded the Zcash family (ZEC, ZCL, ZEN, etc) from research,
because their shielded transactions are currently believed provably
crypto secure against tracing.

[1] S. Goldfeder, H. Kalodner, D. Reisman, and A. Narayanan, "When the cookie
    meets the blockchain: Privacy risks of web payments via cryptocurrencies,"
https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.04748
[2] A. Miller, M. Möser, K. Lee, and A. Narayanan, "An empirical
analysis of linka-
    bility in the Monero blockchain,"
https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.04299
[3] M. Möser and R. Böhme, "The price of anonymity: empirical evidence from a
    market for Bitcoin anonymization," coinjoin
https://academic.oup.com/cybersecurity/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/cybsec/tyx007
https://www.reddit.com/r/joinmarket/

https://themerkle.com/top-4-companies-providing-bitcoin-blockchain-analysis-services/

Those wanting anonymity today might exchange around with some Z's, Monero,
etc in the middle on a number of decentralized or at least anon markets,
make money on the idle with joinmarkets in any coin, all over I2P / Tor,
while managing a large pile of one time use accounts.
They obviously have to support the adoption of the set of anon capable coins
otherwise the edge markets interfacing realworld won't list them, making
transit of nontrivial sums in / between / out worlds very difficult.

Here's another proposal...
Adam Fiscor - Zerolink Bitcoin fungibility framework
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-QQOjycgI
https://breaking-bitcoin.com/