NY Times Op-Ed Blasts Cloudflare for Daily Stormer Terror

Marina Brown catskillmarina at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 12:07:07 PDT 2017

On 09/13/2017 02:30 PM, jim bell wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 10:50:40 AM PDT, Marina Brown
> <catskillmarina at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/13/2017 07:04 AM, John Young wrote:
>
>> The Terrifying Power of Internet Censors
>>

> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/opinion/cloudflare-daily-stormer-charlottesville.html
>>

>> Terrifying!
>

>>I have a feeling that Internet Registrars and Cloudflare are doing this
> for their own legal protection.
>

> I have a feeling that you are inventing reasoning that would be, in
> itself, illogical and quite stilted.  Sure, deluded people exist, but
> organizations who are in control of such things have a responsibility to
> not abuse their authority.

Yes - i am only speculating, but there are lawyers out there who have
brought up the possible charge. I spoke with one of them recently.

>>It's long established law that conspiracy to commit genocide, ethnic
> cleansing and to violate the human rights of groups of people is a
> crime. Creating the theoretical framework for genocide is also a crime
> as was evidenced by the conviction of Julius Streicher who authored
> Daily Stormer's predescessor Der Sturmer.
>
>>It's Cloudflare and Registrars protecting themselves from being
> complicit in human rights crimes.
>
>>And you know what. I don't blame them. I wouldn't piss on Andrew Anglin
> if he was on fire.
>

> Sorry, but you are not even hundreds of miles away from being correct on
> this.  To label DNS service, which is essentially monopoly, as
> supporting "genocide" is about 3-4 leaps of logic, far too much to work.
> A few nuts spouting nonsense is far, very far, from "conspiracy to
> commit genocide".  Merely providing necessary net services to them, just
> as is done for thousands of sites, cannot possibly be described that
> way.   Maybe you just have no respect for the concept of "Free Speech".
>
>              Jim Bell

I am concerned about the market monopoly of DNS service ...but

This is not about speech. It is about people conspiring to commit
genocide, ethnic cleansing and to remove peoples human rights.

I am quoting law used in Neuremburg. ...The same law that was used to
convict Julius Streicher.

You cannot simultaneously enguage in free speech and a conspiracy to
commit genocide. One is permitted, one is a crime.

...Unless you want to redefine free speech to include criminal conspiracy.

We can oppose monopolies like DNS TLD without defending conspiracy to
commit genocide.