[OT] 17 Science Fiction Books That Forever Changed The Genre

Cecilia Tanaka cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:28:52 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> On 10/29/2017 03:39 PM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
>> 17 Science Fiction Books That Forever Changed The Genre
>>
>> #  https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/10/17-science-fiction-books-that-forever-changed-the-genre
>
> Interesting picks, including a couple of duds IMO.  Missing in action:
>
> Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination - 1956 - the first New Wave
> science fiction novel
>
> John Brunner - The Shockwave Rider - 1975 - the first Cyberpunk novel
>
> Vernor Vinge - True Names - 1981 - Vinge invents Cyberspace
>
> Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon - 1999 - IMO more genre-changing than
> Snow Crash (1992) which did make the list referenced above, because
> Vinge got there first
>
> It remains to be seen whether Cory Doctorow's Little Brother will
> "change the genre" by introducing contemporary radical politics as core
> subject matter.
>
>> Bonus:  -  The Best And Worst Philip K. Dick Adaptations
>>
>> #  https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/10/the-best-and-worst-philip-k-dick-adaptations
>
> Hah!  They didn't have the nerve to pick which was which.
>
> I'm awfully fond of Blade Runner and The Man In The High Castle, but A
> Scanner Darkly FTW IMO:  Keanu Reeves says he studied his lines straight
> out of a paperback copy of the novel.
>
> Just before theatrical release, the studio and distributors "pulled the
> plug", canceling all promotional appearances and advertising.  The film
> was shown in one or two "art houses" per major city and was solid gone
> in a couple of weeks (I tracked that via show time lookups).
>
> Problem is A Scanner Darkly tells the entire truth about Wars Against
> Drugs, through a broad enough metaphor to remain completely relevant for
> a looong time.  We can't have that, can we nao?
>
> :o/

God, I f_cking love you and all your books and songs references,
Steve!!!  (* - *)  <3

I was missing your lists and commentaries a lot, wow!  Thank you very,
very much, my dear!  <3

PS:  -  Once, a person told me that was a sin to say "God" and
"fucking" in the same phrase.  Bah, I think God  - if exists -  has
much more to do than thinking if I am using a bad word and his sacred
name to emphasize how much I love you!  Muuuuaaaah!!!  :****