1984: NYC Secret Surveillance Pylons

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Mon Oct 2 17:21:35 PDT 2017

On 10/01/2017 10:57 AM, Razer wrote:

> On 09/30/2017 11:59 PM, grarpamp wrote:
>> https://cryptome.org/2017-info/tunnel-sec/tunnel-sec-pylons.htm
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuzlDnFsik
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/73ean1/mystery_surrounds_metal_towers_popping_up_in_nyc/
>>

>> These appear to be LED lighting modules on fixed gimbal
>> mounts, 12 per tower.
>>
>> (Closeup surveillance credit Cryptome)
>>
>> http://www.bklighting.com/products/abs-products/series-5700/1211-series-5700-led-information.html
>>

> Why would anyone mistake them for decorative, and why don't we just call
> them what they are "Sensor Arrays".
>
> Americans like the shiny stuff their genocide-blowback-cycle-based
> lifestyle garners. A lot. They'll learn to live with the dystopian
> nature of the society necessary for it's proper functioning, or else.

I think of them more as iconic architecture, intended to intimidate.
It's not like the terrain they cover is not already so dense with
sensors that discarding redundant information is a bigger problem than
acquiring raw feed.

Maybe they include bomb sniffers?  If so (and from the design, that's my
guess) then that would be the "technical" justification for these bits
of Bad Public Art.

:o/