japanese was - Re: jimbellproject.org is looking for volunteers

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Thu Oct 19 03:20:08 PDT 2017

> On Oct 19, 2017, at 2:21 AM, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 02:27:19 -0200
> Cecilia Tanaka <cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 2:08 AM, Cecilia Tanaka
>> <cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I asked my neighbors and now I want to discover the correct kanji
>>> to this expression...  Shit (or "kuso", if you prefer), hiragana
>>> doesn't count, Juan!  :P
>>
>> Hi, Juan!  Hi, everybody!  :D
>>
>> I was searching a little bit and talked with two friends who made
>> their post-doctorship in Tokyo.  Well, you are correct:  "Kutabare"
>> means "fall dead!"
>
>    Oh I just looked it up in the dictionary =P
>
>> and "Shine"  (pronounce: something like "sheene")
>
>    ah yes, that one is common in anime =P
>
>    re :    kanji for kuso is 糞
>
>    and here's some vocabulary =P
>
>    糞を食らえ -  くそをくらえ - kuso o kurae - eat shit!
>    糞女 くそおんな
>    糞男 くそおとこ
>
>    ------
>
>    豆腐の角に頭をぶつけて死ね : literally "bash your head against
>    the corner of a block of tofu and die"
>
>    Found this one too ナポリをみてしね : literally "See Naples and
>    die"  - not sure what the hell is supposed to mean tho....
>

>> means "die!", "go to Hell!" and similar expressions.  In Japan, they
>> use "Engurishu"  (English in "Engurishu", haha!!)  and the young
>> people usually say "Fuck You", but the sound is a bit strange, more or
>> less, "Fa~ku".
>>
>> In countries where existed Japanese immigration, some of the old
>> "nihongo"  (Japanese language)  expressions were kept until now
>> ("bendjou" isn't used in Japan actually, but is still used here
>> instead of "toeere" - toilet in "Engrish")  or were used in a
>> different sense  ("kutabare" is used as "fuck you" in some countries,
>> because it's more offensive than "die!").
>>
>> Kisses!  :*
>>
>> c.
>>
>> PS:  -  John, I love you and your messages, but I answer later because
>> I am almost "kutabareying"  - haha!! -  now, sorry.  Do you know the
>> history behind the New LW&C?  It's a fucking sad story, but its

All I know is what was written in an intro to the
first translated volume - Kazuo Koike, still alive after
the artist Goseki had long passed away, at first
was reluctant to continue the story without his
old collaborator... but then Hideki Mori came along
and Kazuo felt like he was the spiritual successor
to Goseki, asked Goseki's wife for permission
to continue the book, and that's all I know ;)

Hideki Mori's art is fantastic, and does have a remarkable
similarity to that of Goseki Kojima.