Cryptocurrency Privacy: Evolving... Zerocash (ZEC, ZCL, ZEN) vs All Other Coin

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Oct 6 04:01:57 PDT 2017

On 06/10/2017 16:03, George Violaris wrote:
> I believe the issue with this, such as in Bitcoin and any coin, is that
> the blockchain eventually grows to an enormous size. It's all nice when
> it's at around 200GB of data and it only takes a few days to synchronize
> to the network. But think about a blockchain that is 2 TB. That is not
> only a huge blockchain, that would be huge for a relational DB that is
> stored on central server or cluster. When databases get to that size,
> companies divide the schema. They'll either divide it per system, per
> department, per branch or however it suits them best. Then they'll use
> some sort of business intelligence tool to make sense of all that data.

Suppose a cryptocurrency substantially replaces the US dollar and the
existing banking system, and suppose we need to keep a year or so of
transactions in active storage.

How many transactions are full peers going to need to store?

Or to say the same thing in other words, how many transactions do visa,
mastercard, and the banking system do?