Cryptocurrency Privacy: Evolving... Zerocash (ZEC, ZCL, ZEN) vs All Other Coin

George Violaris violarisgeorge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 03:30:59 PDT 2017

On 01/10/2017 7:42 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> Rethreading these two former threads into a more General: Item...
> 1: Zerocash: Addressing Bitcoin's Privacy Problem GoogleTechTalks
> 2: Why I can't sleep soundly with blockchain, being the cypherpunk

> https://zcoin.io/zcoins-privacy-technology-compares-competition/
>
>> Blockchain privacy is a particularly difficult thing to achieve as a public blockchain is designed so that all transactions are transparent and the supply of coins can be publicly verified. Privacy mechanisms have to ensure that these elements are preserved so it’s a conflicting mix of protecting privacy while maintaining public verifiability.
I'm trying to understand what kind of crypto algorithm is being used in
Zcoin. Is it any similar to cryptonote/bytecoin's ring signatures and
such? I understand that transmitted coins are burnt and new ones replace
them, but IMO this doesn't cover privacy fully - it's mostly the way the
transactions/coins are transmitted that matters, is it not?

In short my question is, how does zero knowledge proof compare to ring
signatures employed i.e. by Monero?