Stingray warrant

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sat Nov 18 06:31:44 PST 2017

On November 18, 2017 5:04:36 AM EST, No <nonomos at mail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>sifting
>through the data revealed some suspicious outlier signals.
>
>One signal source, for instance, changed six times over the two months
>the frequencies on which it transmitted — unlike 96 percent of sources
>detected. Five of those frequencies were only able to be detected
>within
>1,500 feet of the building.
>
>One might write this off as a test or nanocell, except for the fact
>that
>this particular source happens to be located in or around an
>immigration
>services building run by Homeland Security. Could that be a Stingray,
>in
>position to target recent immigrants? The data is consistent with that
>hypothesis, but more data is needed to be sure.
>
>The building in question, indicated by a diamond, produced many normal
>signals (green), but suspicious ones at close range (other colors)
>
>“We want to be careful about our conclusions,” cautioned Smith. “We did
>find weird and interesting patterns at certain locations that match
>what
>we would expect to see from a cell-site simulator, but that’s as much
>as
>we can say from an initial pilot study.”
>
>At the very least it also provides advocates and journalists with
>something to work with. In attempting last year to discover whether
>Seattle police were using Stingrays, I found myself lacking in pointed
>questions to ask: although I received an unequivocal “no,” rather than
>brush-off, it would have been nice to have something specific in mind,
>like a location or operation. I may just ask DHS about the suspicious
>signal mentioned above.
>
>Unfortunately, the team wasn’t able to get their hands on an actual
>IMSI
>catcher to ground-truth these findings — the devices are jealously
>guarded by their keepers and information about them is really only
>available through leaked documents and the occasional missed redaction.
>Smith told me in an email that they did, however, roll their own
>Stingray-esque device based on what they know of how the things work.
>
>Researchers Peter Ney (left) and Ian Smith
>
>The detection kits contained around $500 worth of parts, all of which
>are specified in the paper describing the work. Smith suggested the
>cost
>could come down with scale, though.
>
>“We’re eager to push this out into the community and find partners who
>can crowdsource more data collection and begin to connect the dots in
>meaningful ways,” he said.
>
>Transparency advocates would love to have a working system like this,
>certainly, though it must also be said that the criminal element would
>find it useful too. But that’s the case with any tool, including IMSI
>catchers.
>
>You can find out more about the tool or explore the data the team has

That's interesting.

There are a bunch of stingray-catcher apps for Android
phones, like Snoop Snitch and  Cell Spy Catcher and
others... I'm not endorsing any of these, not sure how well
they work / if there are better alternatives. It's an interesting area, something I mean to play with more
when I can find the time (particularly an OpenBTS or
OpenBTS + Asterisks setup).