minix - tannenbaum won!

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 08:18:28 PST 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:02 PM, John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:

> It's funny looking back at the ancient flame war between Tannenbaum &
> Torvalds... and now it turns out there is a copy of Minix running at
> ring -3 in every Intel CPU out there! Sweet fucking christmas.

If I remember rightly, though, in that flame war he also criticised Linux
for running on x86 as it was a dead (or perhaps he said short-lived)
platform that no-one would be running in future (wasn't it MIPS he thought
would dominate?). So there's also a certain irony to the architecture that
Minix is now (effectively) the most dominant OS on.

--
Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk