blocking coinhive / JS miners

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sat Nov 18 07:26:44 PST 2017

On November 18, 2017 5:00:35 AM EST, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 08:50:21AM -0500, John Newman wrote:
>> https://github.com/Marfjeh/coinhive-block/blob/master/domains
>>
>> The fellow who maintains this list has a little makefile one level
>> up that will add each host as 0.0.0.0 to your /etc/hosts file, if
>> that's what you would like to do with such a list. Details:
>>
>Is blacklisting solution at all? Domains change. The page may refuse to
>display if the miner is not running.

It's definitely not a comprehensive or guaranteed solution, at all...

As for domains changing, all you can do is keep your
blacklist up-to-date, and of course it's totally a game of
catch up. As for sites not working, I'd tend to say "fuck that
site" =)

But it sure seems like there should be a way to use NoScript
or similar plugin with some custom code to trick some of
the sites that depend on the mining code running into
thinking their shit ran while in reality you basically no-op it.

Im a piss-poor JS programmer myself, haven't ever had to
use it for much ;)