minix - tannenbaum won!

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 10:54:10 PST 2017

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:36:44 -0500
John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:

> On November 9, 2017 1:16:02 PM EST, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Minix is BSD-licensed, so anyone can take it and do what they will
> >> with it. I guess you're advocating for GPL only in open source
> >> stuff? I can see both sides of the argument...
> >
> >	well it's a dilemma. I don't think 'intellectual property' is
> >	justified or enforceable at all. But that in turn means that
> >	good ideas can be used by all sorts of hardly-human scum.
> >
> >	As to 'legal' licences in the american fascist, I mean,
> >	'legal' system they are just bullshit written by lawyers.
> >	GPL relies on 'copyright' doesn't it.
> >

> Right - which is why I personally prefer BSD licensed stuff, seems to
> come closer to doing away with the whole notion of copyright.

	yeah - then again, using copyright to limit the damage caused
	by copyright and to put material in some sort of public domain
	might seem like a valid compromise. But what happens when the
	copyright term expires? Well, argually that's not a problem
	since copyright now lasts 140 fucking years average...oops.

> But it can obviously have negative side effects, as we see, when the
> state, or corporations, build on these efforts for their nefarious
> purposes... Not sure there's a good solution here. Except of course
> for the utter destruction of the state ;)

	pretty much...