The Orville S1 E7

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Nov 8 02:26:48 PST 2017

On 11/03/2017 08:22 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> Someone asked how to access onion sites...
>
> Links to '.onion's are part of the Tor overlay network,
> therefore you need Tor to reach them. Simplest way is
> to download and use the 'Tor Browser' from here...
> https://www.torproject.org/

[...]

> I2P is another popular overlay network. It has a torrent
> network and client built internally into it, so may be a
> safer alternative to trying to use Tor for torrenting.
> I2P can be slow and use a ton of RAM / CPU.
>
> https://geti2p.net/en/docs/applications/supported#file-sharing
> http://127.0.0.1:7657/i2psnark/

Torrent distribution on the "fire and forget" plan is the principal
application for i2p, although it also has some forums, an in-network
e-mail equivalent, and the router package comes with a ready to run web
server.

To date I have found i2p "slow" compared to running around the world
naked all the time, but more than adequate for its intended purposes.
In re RAM and CPU load, I usually run i2p on old, salvaged machines and
rarely notice any performance hit when running other applications on
them.  On "good" machines I see no performance hits at all.

Another thing I notice about i2p is that very few actual idiots are on
that network:  Eternal September has not come to i2p and probably won't
for a long time.

Back when I was playing with Freenet a few years ago, it really needed a
machine of its own to run on:  No amount of tuning it, or tweaking the
Java engine made much difference in its absurd resource-hog ways.  The
publicly accessible fora and etc. in Freenet space seemed to be jam
packed with the kind of guise who used to wear trench coats to grimy
little movie houses in the middle of summer.  I think of Freenet as
something that might find practical use as a distributed file dump and
etc. by groups who configure it to talk /only/ to other members of their
team.

None of the above has a large enough user base to present an adequate
"anonymity set" (a.k.a. crowd to hide in) if one has any concerns about
attention from the NSA and its partners and/or rivals.