how to best organise a large community "important" books library?

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Wed May 17 01:14:41 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> "Formal" library software (e.g. Evergreen) may be the answer for repo
> wide searchability of meta data, but when others share interest, they
> may only be able to store, and or may be only particularly interested
> in a sub-category or two such as health and agriculture/gardening, so
> it might be best anyway to use a handful of top level "general
> categories" to reduce our maximums down from 50K books per dir, to 10
> fold fewer at least.

I guess your best bet would probably be to approach it like a physical
library does.

Divide by broad category/genre (so separate fiction and non-fiction,
subdivide that into health etc)

Then divide further by Author's name, perhaps dividing that further by the
first two chars of the author's name

But it'd get complicated quite quickly (particularly if you don't know the
author's name) so you'd want some sort of
index available to do metadata based searching too. I think that's probably
going to be hard to avoid with a
substantial number of books though.

--
Ben Tasker