Did m$ released patch for unsupported windozes after Wannacry hit?

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon May 15 06:45:48 PDT 2017

On 05/15/2017 02:22 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> Wannacry hit on 2017-05-12 using exploit generously donated by the NSA.
> For supported windozes the bug was fixed in 2017-03 for unknown reasons.
> Looks like for unsupported windozes like XP the patch was released on
> 2017-05-13 after Wannacry hit:
> http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012598
> Is it really so?

That's what I've read. Microsoft provided patches in March for nominally
unsupported Windows versions with custom support contracts. The NHS, for
example, had dropped its XP support contract in ~2014. Cheap bastards ;)

I note that Microsoft provided these patches in May for all users.
Certainly for authentic installs without support contracts. And perhaps
even for pirated/cracked installs. I have an old cracked XP installer, I
think, so maybe I'll test.