What is the value of the State?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun May 7 19:32:07 PDT 2017

On 2017-05-06 16:32, John Newman wrote:

>> On May 6, 2017, at 12:08 AM, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So in short, you are telling us you don't know anything about
>>> geophysics and don't need to find out:
>>
>>    I think I know more about physics and its manipulation by state
>>    mafias than you do.i ii
>>

> What's your evidence that anthropogenic climate change is a massive hoax? I know we've been through this before and I don't want another flame fest.... I'm genuinely curious.

It is not exactly a hoax.  Rather, they cherry pick the evidence,
torture the data, use nonsensical statistical methods, and reject
unwanted evidence as error, as for example
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/08/the-smoking-gun-at-darwin-zero/

The Hockey stick curve is not exactly a lie.  Rather, what they did is
use an estimate for recent twentieth century warming, and took any data
that correlated with that during the twentieth century, declared
anything that correlated to be a proxy for temperature, and took the
weighted average of all these "proxies"

Since they were, for the most part, not measures of temperature, they
tended to cancel out except for the period where they had been selected
for correlating, thus producing a hockey stick.

If your data is random noise, and you select those noise sequences that
rise from 1970 to 1990, and take their average, you get a hockey stick
blade from 1970 to 1990, and everything before 1970 flat, *and*
*everything* *after* *1990* flat, because except for the period on which
you are selecting, everything cancels out.

Of course, as time passed, they proceeded to once again cancel out, so
the hockey stick curve developed a sudden dip - the proxies were
reporting that the earths temperature was falling back to its long term
average - not because it was falling back, but because these proxies
were not in fact proxies, but just random noise.

This was the "decline" that Mann refers to in "Mike's Nature Trick to
hide the decline"

Which brings me to the climategate files.  I have read the climategate
files.  It reflects not so much a conspiracy to fake up evidence of
catastrophic anthropogenic global warming, as total lack of interest in
whether the world is warming or not.  They are not looking for evidence
of what is actually happening, but rather whatever can be useful in a
political campaign.

They say, and it may well be true, that this how science is done these
days.  If true, science died in the late forties, and what we have now
is priests in labcoats.