For Your Eyes Only...

Cecilia Tanaka cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com
Thu May 25 17:28:19 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Georgi Guninski <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 03:13:16PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
>> https://twitter.com/sirrogermoore/status/867005447018086400
>
> As of now this announcement has 63K "likes".
> What does it mean on twitter to like the announcement of someone's
> death? Is it sympathy or antipathy?

It depends.  You need to consider the content of the announcement and
the dead person in question, dear.  The "like" can show both, sympathy
or antipathy.  You will verify support and sympathy to the deceased's
family and their friends in the comments and/or hate and antipathy
when the dead one was exactly not much appreciated.

For example, when a tweet announces the death of a dictator, hundreds
of "likes" mean that the death was very much appreciated, something
like:  "Oh, good news, I liked it!  Go to Hell, bastard!".

When a tweet announces the death of a famous person recognized for
their talent  (actors/actresses, singers, writers, etc),  or important
acts of courage, love, inspiring good feelings in general, or the
death of poor innocents in massacres, wars, disasters, etc, the
"likes" usually show sympathy, try to give virtual support in a
painful and sad moment to the family and friends.