"All fossil-fuel vehicles will vanish in 8 years..."

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Sun May 21 08:35:46 PDT 2017

On 05/20/2017 07:19 PM, grarpamp wrote:
>> In the US, after 10 years you can no longer get many parts for you car
>> from the dealer.  <---- emphasis
>> They intentionally obsolete them, ostensibly to get
>> allegedly 'cleaner ones' on the road, but really, force-obsoleting cars
>> after 10 years instead of having ones that could run indefinitely
> While legal and consumer environment may generate incentive,
> carmakers have no natural incentive but to sell.
> Any shit design, poor aging, or parts dropout is their own
> whole car preferential sales technique.
>
> But still, you can get limited parts selection from dealer 10+ years out,
> at their price. And 30+ years on cheap aftermarket, including
> complete rebuild kit for common models. Same for junkyards.
>
> Lern2wrench. May also be net environmentally better vs production,
> and much cheaper. Do the math.

You can't "Wrench" them when they're 30 years old. They've fallen apart.
By design.

I mean... I MEAN... If you really love that hole in the pavement you
pour money into, you can pour EVEN MORE MONEY into it trying to replace
parts that never fail in the designed life of the 'hole'. For instance,
my Travelall, which had ONE smog device, an OG PCV valve that wasn't
even listed as an available part because you took it apart and cleaned
it, and was, like the rest of the vehicle, intended to literally last
forever (which eventually put IH out of the small truck biz), at 30
years it had wheel rim failures (split circumferentially on the inside
of the rim mimicking a blowout), the power steering idler arm snapped
(fortunately I was parking at the time and not going 60mph), and the
door latches? Door bolts ... due to sagging hinges making the latches
unreliable at first, then non-functional. And any door/hinge assembly
you're liable to find at a junkyard or recycler is just as worn.

You CAN have the hinges rebuilt of course (Until their attachment point
on the 'hole' fails). And the brake calipers bored out by specialty
machine shops with matching Stainless Steel pucks installed like is
common with old Corvettes and Jaguars.

Just sayin'.... Spend all your money so you can scoot around in a little
metal box that isolates you from the society around you, and by
extension, those bombs falling (enter name of 3rd world nation here),
AND can't even be recycled?

That's 'progress'... towards something. But I just don't see a future in
it for humans.

Rr