Torrenting The Darknets

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat May 20 19:59:55 PDT 2017

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:
> i2p can be called "a functional darknet torrent system,"

> on my last visit that some files I seeded and promoted there about five
> years ago are still available.

Only through the explicit goodwill of human "seeders"
actively seeding specifically chosen infohashes.
That's nice, and very good to have, for "speed" if
nothing else.

But the missing link is some form of AI that actually
maintains a copy on a distributed redundant storage backend
according to whatever demand or insertion parameters.
Or reasonably forever [1].

Otherwise when the last human "seeder" ceases seeding,
no matter what the popularity was, the material dies with them.

[1] Seeders life are a terrible definition of when to expire something.
And has no facility to even try to maintain a single archive copy for decades.

There's enough slack space on the planet's masses of hard
drives for an app to plugin to the darknets and do just that.

Think of it this way, even grander...
all human knowledge <= Npeople * avg unused space * darknet storage
redundancy level

This equation should be easy to estimate as true.
So it can be built...

And when you do, people won't mind running it,
after all, it's anonymous, encrypted, etc...
and they have access to indexes of all knowledge therein,
including fave pop music and puppy pictures.