What is the value of the State?

Steven Schear schear.steve at gmail.com
Mon May 15 10:42:01 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:32 AM, John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:

> science and should be required reading for anyone with an open mind on this
> topic.

> Warming_by_Michael_Crichton.html
> >>>

> >> A shitty novelist points out that science has been wrong in the
> >> past,
> >
> > You highlight Crichton's point perfectly - that shitty science from
> > the past that he spoke of is not, was not, and never shall be
> > science, it was merely "science", political social movements dressed
> > up as "concensus science".
> >
> > And here you are, once again, smack bang in the trap this has set for
> > your weak mind - calling past "science" as science, instead of the
> > politics it is.
> >
> > And anyway, what the hell has Michael Crichton's novel writing
> > ability got to do with the clear, succinct and slightly humorous
> > facts he raises in his essay/talk??
> >

> Hey, you replied to one of my emails!
> I guess it's easier to jump on this bandwagon than try to defend any of
> your other countless (and disgusting) hypocritical views.
>
> Maybe we can send some death squads out to the science departments at any
> institution doing climate research? Especially if they're (((jewish))) -
> sounds right up your alley, you bad boy ;)
>
> In any case, Chrichton selectively chose a few things which, as i said, no
> one ever claimed was a known science. Like the drake equation.  Then he
> further selected a bunch of stuff that has been discredited, thanks to
> further scientific work, over time. In effect, he showed that science, over
> time, works.

What he showed is that it works VERY poorly when those in scientific
"authority", and who often have reputation and/or financial attachments to
the prevailing Consensus, use their influence (politics) to suppress
conflicting views (and often the careers of those holding them). Yes, over
time it "works" but the lengths of these "erroneous consensus" epochs can
stretch to lifetimes and during these periods the public can be denied the
advantages of the later "proven" science (for example, saving lives due to
effective medical treatments) or forced to pay (for example, through
unwarranted taxation, misguided public policies and regulations).

> And naturally he stayed away from all the wonderful things that have been
> wrought by scientific innovation, and that are in fact a CONSENSUS, once
> they have been accepted by the scientific community. That these consensuses
> can change is obvious, or he wouldn't have had so much crap science to pick
> from (and doctors would still be following Galen and bleeding you to get
> your humors in order when you went to hospital)

The crux of Crichton's arguments are that all too often Consensus is
presented publicly as Settled Science instead of what is really is:
politics. This is especially troubling when dealing with areas of science
(e.g., climatology) in which the application of the Scientific Method (not
just collected data or models) is impossible/impractical given current
technologies. I have yet to see those pushing the anthropomorphic climate
change models openly admit this.