What is the value of the State?

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sat May 13 10:59:32 PDT 2017

> On May 13, 2017, at 10:46 AM, Steven Schear <schear.steve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Michael Crichton's famous lecture drops the mike on consensus vs. science and should be required reading for anyone with an open mind on this topic.
>

> http://www.burtonsys.com/climate/Aliens_Cause_Global_Warming_by_Michael_Crichton.html

A shitty novelist points out that science has been wrong in the past, that predicting the future is hard, and that some equations are basically guesses (e.g. the drake equation). Of course, everyone has known this, including Drake and the SETI people, from day one (although there have been remarkable advances in the ability to detect exoplanets recently, thanks mainly to the kepler space telescope). What deep insight.

It's funny how the biggest skeptics on climate science tend to either be funded by the petroleum (and related) industry (these are the few that publish studies) OR have no real scientific background and are generally right-wing/conservatives or massively conspiracy-inclined.

> Warrant Canary creator

Did not create warrant canary,
John