Snowden defends Comey

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Thu May 11 23:29:15 PDT 2017

On 05/11/2017 05:35 PM, Marina Brown wrote:

<SNIP>

> It's really sad that cypherpunks has become infested with alt-right
> maggots. I came back after almost 15 years absence in the hope to hear
> good cypherpunk stuff and talk of how to resist eavesdroppers and big
> brother with cryptography.

Yeah, I was gone for many years. It wasn't bad when I came back in late
2014, but it started going to hell after the Appelbaum mess, and
dramatically since the 2016 US presidential campaign.

> But the years have twisted former social libertarians into apologists
> for authority and oppression.

There's more to it than that, I think. The enemy of my enemy dynamic has
tended to intermix disparate groups opposed to government abuse or
existence. Who all see crypto/privacy/anonymity as valuable. Plus
scammers and opportunists. Also cynicism, lulz and flat-out crazies. And
infiltration of dissident groups by Russian intelligence.

So that's what we have. It was evident on Usenet a decade ago. And I'm
surprised that it took so long to show up here. So it goes.

> I've plonked most but can't filter out the replys.

I filter on both sender and body, so I don't see replies either. But I
do occasionally look at junk, and reply to interesting stuff. In that
case, I often redact stuff so I'll see replies. Sorry if that breaks
your filters :(

> I guess that is what insecurity about privilege does to some.

For some, maybe. For others, more like senility, I think ;)