thepiratebay.org behind cloudflare

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Tue May 2 05:51:06 PDT 2017

> On May 1, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Ben Tasker <ben at bentasker.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Razer <g2s at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> I assume the upstream
>> provider for the local ISP is AOL which would explain why the only time
>> we were ever notified about a 'torrentviolator' was in regard to Warner
>> content,
>
> Warner in particular, are very keen on monitoring torrents, and pay various third parties to monitor swarms and extract IP addresses of anyone sharing their content. The third party contractors then look at who owns the relevant block, and sends a notification to that ISP (it's normally automated).
>
> It's less likely to be because AOL was upstream than it is simply a product of the fact that Warner are absolutely shit-hot on trying to keep on top of their content being shared (for all the good it does).
>
> They don't notice and catch everyone, but IME they've got a far better detection rate than other publishers.
>

> --
> Ben Tasker
> https://www.bentasker.co.uk

There's a huge number of "free" streaming sites that don't involve torrents at all, for basically anything you can find a torrent on. I'm talking about all the stuff that Kodi + exodus (or other video plugin) taps into... and used within kodi, it is free, and quite convenient. I don't know what any of the providers are doing to try to knock that shit down, but it doesn't seem to be working ;)

As far as torrents go, the one time I ever got a "scary letter" it was from HBO, after I'd accidentally left something seeding for like a week. And I wasn't using a block list in transmission at the time. I've never had any trouble since, always careful to use a block list.