the intercept - corporate US mouthpiece

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Sat Mar 25 11:22:16 PDT 2017

On 03/25/2017 11:08 AM, John Newman wrote:

>>> It seems to me Greenwald & co. used the Snowden revelations for
>>> self-enrichment to a very large degree. I guess you can argue all
>>> day long about their intentions, but there is no doubt the Snowden
>>> shit has been a massive gravy train for the journalists involved….
>>>
>>> Not to say I would have stories put back in the bottle, obviously :P
>>>

>> I'd say the Snowden Papers put The_Intercept on the
>> continuation-of-publishing-viability 'gravy train' anyway. I haven't
>> seen what @ggreenwald's tax returns look like so I have no way of
>> judging his, or any of the staff's self-enrichment due to them.
>>
>> This article
>> <http://frostsnow.com/glenn-greenwald-s-net-worth-is-8-5-billion-know-about-his-career-and-awards>
>> claims his net worth was $8.5 billion dollars in 2013, before the
>> Snowden papers fell in his lap, so it would seem he just doesn't need
>> the money that much to swing in his hammock down in Brasil, and he was
>> the founding partner of a law firm, not a cheap proposition, so his
>> wealth likely precedes his publishing career. Further, according to
>> Wikipedia he did his BA in Philosophy at GWU... NOT an inexpensive
>> school to take a non-career-path Baccalaureate, so it would seem wealth
>> was in the family before he ever had a career.
>>
>> Rr
>>

> Interesting, I had no idea Greenwald was a BILLIONAIRE - presumably born that way?
> Or born with a lot of money and turned into more with legal career?
>
> In any case, changes my perspective a little. have to do some digging ;)
>
> John

He certainly doesn't flaunt his wealth. I'm perhaps a little skeptical
of the $8.5 billion figure but on the other hand net worth is an
interesting calculation that can include intangibles and such.

I think he was born into money. Wikipedia lists his parent's names but
they don't have entries on site so it would take some digging to come up
with biographical information.

Rr