If this doesn't define what TOR really is, what does?

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Wed Mar 8 09:50:19 PST 2017

On 03/08/2017 01:06 AM, juan wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 00:37:13 -0500 Steve Kinney
> <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> Sounds reasonable if NSA was involved:  But this show was billed as
> an FBI production, and I don't think the NSA ventures into law
> enforcement territory.
>
>> well, this isn't exactly news...
>
>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/08/dea-and-nsa-team-intelligence-l
aundering

>>  or was your remark sarcastic? =P

Good point:  I was mostly serious, though of course I would never
imagine that clandestine security services "obey the law" just because
it's the law - the reason they are "clandestine" is to enable them to
break the law at will.  The FBI and the military intelligence services
have traditionally been rivals, very protective of the boundaries
defining their respective turfs.  But now that the FBI enforces U.S.
law against foreign nationals on foreign soil - a rather bizarre
development - it is easy to imagine that mechanisms for routine
integration of FBI and NSA functions have developed.

The example above - NSA and DEA working hand in hand - may not be the
most relevant indicator though.  Back when Phil Agee went walkabout
and wrote Inside The Company, there was a firestorm of controversy and
Congress yanked the CIA's leash hard by slashing budgets for U.S.
terrorist operations in South and Central America.  At that time the
DEA stepped in and took up the slack, as it was well positioned to
bypass Congress and fund its own operations by dealing drugs.  Since
the 1970s the DEA has been ass deep in political warfare overseas, so
I think it is reasonable to presume that they have a long standing BFF
relationship with both CIA and NSA.

FBI?  Maybe, maybe not, but on reflection I do think it's likely that
barriers between that organization and NSA etc. are falling fast, if
not already completely gone.

All that said, I do think the method the FBI says it used to bust the
Playpen trash would have been both practical, more cost effective and
easier to sell as "legal" in Court than farming it out to the NSA.

:o)