[TriggerWarning: Sexist-Racist-Baiting, cmon...] Selma Burke

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Sat Mar 4 18:21:16 PST 2017

> Burke was chosen to sculpt a portrait of then-President Franklin D.
> Roosevelt honoring the Four Freedoms.[9] Completed in 1944, the
> 3.5-by-2.5-foot plaque was unveiled in September 1945 at the Recorder
> of Deeds Building in Washington, D.C., where it still hangs today.[10]
> Some have suggested that the plaque may have served as John R.
> Sinnock's inspiration for his obverse design on the Roosevelt
> dime.[10] Sinnock, however, denied this vehemently, claiming the
> design for the dime was based on earlier medals he had sculpted in
> 1933 and 1934 as well as photographs of FDR.[11][12]

Her work next to the quote here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_Burke#Biography

> Sinnock denied this claim and said that the obverse portrait of the
> President was a composite of two studies which he made from life in
> 1933 and 1934. Sinnock said that he also consulted photographs of FDR
> and had the advice and criticism of two prominent sculptors who
> specialize in work in relief

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Sinnock#Urban_folklore

Designer does not mean creator of the image, and his denials bore me
without images of his "/studies which he made from life in 1933 and
1934/" as evidence. As far as I can find there are no such 'studies'
that produced any tangible image.

It's easy to see his plagiarization in the hair details.

Rr