CONFESS! Programmers Are Confessing Their Coding Sins!

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Mar 2 02:16:23 PST 2017

On 3/2/2017 6:52 PM, oshwm wrote:
> Then what is the use of asking someone to write a bubble sort (which has been written a million times) - surely you should pick something that hasn't been written before?

It is convenient to ask someone to write a bubble sort because one can
compactly express the problem.

Another popular test is fizz buzz: Print out the integers 1 to 100,
except that for each integer divisible by three print "fizz", for each
integer divisible by five print "buzz" and for each integer divisible by
both three and five, print "fizz buzz"

There are a huge number of little tests like this, and because people
are cramming on common ones like bubble sort and fizz buzz, you need to
invent ever more obscure ones so that the cheaters will be unprepared.

And, by and large, that is in fact what we are doing: Inventing ever
more obscure tests to beat the cheaters.  If your interviewees can guess
the program they will be asked to write, you need to fire your interviewers.