the intercept - corporate US mouthpiece

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sat Mar 25 11:39:26 PDT 2017

> On Mar 25, 2017, at 2:22 PM, Razer <g2s at riseup.net> wrote:
>

>> On 03/25/2017 11:08 AM, John Newman wrote:

>>> I'd say the Snowden Papers put The_Intercept on the
>>> continuation-of-publishing-viability 'gravy train' anyway. I haven't
>>> seen what @ggreenwald's tax returns look like so I have no way of
>>> judging his, or any of the staff's self-enrichment due to them.
>>>
>>> This article
>>> <http://frostsnow.com/glenn-greenwald-s-net-worth-is-8-5-billion-know-about-his-career-and-awards>
>>> claims his net worth was $8.5 billion dollars in 2013, before the
>>> Snowden papers fell in his lap, so it would seem he just doesn't need
>>> the money that much to swing in his hammock down in Brasil, and he was
>>> the founding partner of a law firm, not a cheap proposition, so his
>>> wealth likely precedes his publishing career. Further, according to
>>> Wikipedia he did his BA in Philosophy at GWU... NOT an inexpensive
>>> school to take a non-career-path Baccalaureate, so it would seem wealth
>>> was in the family before he ever had a career.
>>>
>>> Rr
>>>

>> Interesting, I had no idea Greenwald was a BILLIONAIRE - presumably born that way?
>> Or born with a lot of money and turned into more with legal career?
>>
>> In any case, changes my perspective a little. have to do some digging ;)
>>
>> John
>

> He certainly doesn't flaunt his wealth. I'm perhaps a little skeptical
> of the $8.5 billion figure but on the other hand net worth is an
> interesting calculation that can include intangibles and such.
>
> I think he was born into money. Wikipedia lists his parent's names but
> they don't have entries on site so it would take some digging to come up
> with biographical information.
>
> Rr

The article actually says 8.5 Million in the body of the piece -

"As per Forbes estimation in 2013, 49 year old Glenn is standing with a net worth of $8.5 million. This figure is supposed to have increased significantly since then."

And the first comment on the page says -

"You dummies have mixed up Greenwald's net worth with that of Ebay founder Pierre Omidyar, who had funded a joint venture with Greenwald. Omidyar is/was worth 8.5 billion."

So i am extremely dubious Greenwald is worth anywhere near 8.5 billion ;)

But the main link still has billion in the URL... maybe they made a
 correction to the body of the article?

Still, 8.5M is a lot of money. But it's not ultra ruling elite money like 8.5B .....

John