Alex Jones apologizes for his role in promoting "Pizzagate"

Razer g2s at riseup.net
Fri Mar 24 20:57:38 PDT 2017

McClatchy passes on WaPo

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article140722388.html

Alex Jones, the conspiracy-loving media personality, apologized Friday
for his role in promoting "Pizzagate," the baseless viral story that a
Washington pizza restaurant was the locale of a child sex-abuse ring run
by Hillary Clinton and her campaign chairman, John Podesta.

In a surprising and rare bit of backtracking, Jones posted a six-minute
video on his website, "InfoWars," in which he read a prepared statement
formally distancing himself and his site from what became a textbook
story of fake news run amok. He addressed his apology to James
Alefantis, the owner of Comet Ping Pong, the restaurant that was the
supposed locale of the alleged conspiracy last year.

"I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for
which I apologize to him," Jones said. "We relied on third-party
accounts of alleged activities and conduct at the restaurant. We also
relied on accounts of [two] reporters who are no longer with us."

He added, "To my knowledge today, neither Mr. Alefantis nor his
restaurant Comet Ping Pong, were involved in any human trafficking as
was part of the theories about Pizzagate." The story, he said, "was
based upon what we now believe was an incorrect narrative."

Jones, a staunch supporter of Donald Trump during the presidential
campaign, offered no comment or apology to Clinton or Podesta for
outlandish statements about their alleged involvement in the abuse of
hundreds of children.

Jones didn't say what prompted his apology but it may have been
motivated by a letter Alefantis wrote to him in February. The letter
demands an apology and retraction for InfoWars' postings about
Pizzagate; it does not threaten legal action, but refers to what
Alefantis describes as "defaming" comments by InfoWars.

But the timing of Jones' apology suggests he was concerned about a
potential lawsuit. Under Texas law, the Austin-based Jones had to
retract or apologize for the stories by Friday - one full month after
receiving Alefantis' letter - to avoid exposing InfoWars to punitive
damages in a libel suit.

In a statement, Alefantis said, "I am pleased that Mr. Jones has
apologized and admitted that he and his employees repeatedly spread
falsehoods about me and my restaurant. I wish that he would have made
this admission and apology months ago. And his apology, while welcome,
does nothing to address the harm he and his company have done to me, my
business, and my community."

Alefantis' spokeswoman, Molly Levinson, said Friday that Alefantis and
his attorney "continue to evaluate our legal claims."

As the story spread, Alefantis and his employees received multiple death
threats. The rumors culminated in December when a North Carolina man,
Edgar Madisson Welch, came to the restaurant with a loaded assault rifle
and handgun in what he called an attempt to investigate the claims. He
fired the rifle several times while inside the restaurant, according to
court documents.

Welch coincidentally pleaded guilty on Friday to weapons and assault
charges in an agreement with federal prosecutors in the District.

InfoWars wasn't the principal progenitor of the false story. The story
spread primarily through such user-generated sites as Reddit and 4chan,
as well as through fake-news websites and social media.

But InfoWars played a role, publishing numerous articles and
commentaries that speculated about the alleged involvement of Clinton
and Podesta. Pizzagate was sparked by cryptic comments made by Podesta
in emails that were stolen and later released by WikiLeaks during the
campaign.

Among the more damaging elements cited by Alefantis in his Feb. 22
letter was InfoWars' role in encouraging its followers "to go out and
investigate the 'Pizzagate' conspiracy theory, to come to my restaurant
and investigate lies."

In his statement, Alefantis noted, "We can all hope that Mr. Jones'
retreat is the beginning of a process to hold accountable the people who
motivated an armed gunman to travel across state lines and fire his
weapon in a family-friendly restaurant."