Best at Muckrock digs more CIA MKULTRA mind control

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Mon Mar 20 09:00:57 PDT 2017

On 03/20/2017 01:52 AM, jim bell wrote:

> *From:* grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com>
>
> https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2017/feb/08/senate-worried-psyc
hic-program-was-part-cia-mind-c/

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp96-00787r0005002
40009-4

> .Senate worried CIA’s psychic program was part of mind control
> plot
>> “I am glad that this classified and I believe that it should
>> stay
> classified.”
>
>> mkultra, stargate, crest, esp, parapsychology, etc
>
> I think it would be interesting to read about this.  Not that I
> expect to hear anything other than negative results, but I'm
> curious about why they started this inquiry, how long they kept up
> at it, did they ever think they were getting useful results,  etc.

This news is nearly 40 years old and to me, not very interesting
because I already know way too much about it.  Suggested lines of
inquiry:  How much of the reported results and subsequent funding of
CIA sponsored psychic research was done with an eye to prompting
other, less well funded intelligence services overseas to expend
resources attempting to duplicate the reported results?  How much of
the publicity surrounding these projects was intended to support
influence operations targeting superstitious foreign leaders and
populations?  And how much was a straight up scam raiding Uncle Sam's
piggy bank to keep "scientists" more aligned with P.T. Barnum's world
view than Einstein's in business?

FTA:  "The letter goes on to say that the Committee hadn’t made “any
determination to endorse the experimentation as valid or invalid,
[but] it does find that continued activity in this field may offer
promise in applications to intelligence problems.” Therefore,
Congressman Rose was scheduling a briefing from Doctors Puthoff and
Targ, who were involved in the project."

Puthoff and Targ were celebrities in the paranormal and pop psychology
press at the time, "almost as if" publicity was their principal
occupation.  In the area of psychic research, they endorsed Israeli
stage magician Uri Geller's effects, often accomplished through the
agency of Geller's assistant who was allowed free run of the facility
where the "tests" were conducted, as demonstrations of genuine
telekinesis and ESP.  The facility in question was the Stanford
Research Institute, a CIA front located in Menlo Park, California.

The Stanford Research Institute also produced a remarkably influential
document called A Course In Miracles, the de facto Bible of the New
Age movement in the 1980s and 90s.  ACIM presents as a giant circular
argument persuasively selling the proposition that the reader is alone
in an otherwise empty Universe, and that all of her experiences are
voluntarily projected illusions. (They typical devotee was a
successfully divorced upper middle class female in her 40s.)

But other people /do/ exist in that ACIM passes judgment on them:
Those who are healthy, wealthy and "believers" are morally and
spiritually superior to anyone who may be sick, poor or attached to
"rationality," so every victim of every misfortune or abuse has
volunteered for it.  The only way to really help them is to tell them
to stop doing that.

In the ACIM frame of reference, unconditional belief can solve
literally any problem by making it vanish, and the book includes a one
year cycle of mental exercises with an emphasis on making "bad things"
go away through denial.  Its target market was people with lots of
disposable income, mobility, and too much time on their hands, and
ACIM worked for them.

ACIM presents as a very successful psyops a.k.a. mind control
operation.  It created a durable and influential subculture, splitting
a demographic group that has historically supported and promoted
liberal and humanitarian political and social movements, taking most
of that market's social climbers (opinion leaders) all the way out of
the game.

But that was probably just a coincidence.

:o/