Rojava - Kurdistan - Assyrians - Neo-colonial use of "alien forefathers" conspiracies

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Mar 17 15:27:00 PDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 06:49:52PM +0000, MAGA wrote:
> > Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
> > Sat Mar 11 02:22:01 PST 2017
> >
> > Relying on senders to break their links for you
>
> The archives are for the children.  List MVP like you shuud know this.
>
> The Referer request header contains the address of the previous web
> page from which a link to the currently requested page was followed.""

Any link that we post, will exist in a thousand other places, and may be
linked, displayed, and therefore clicked from a thousand other places.

Any child who is not taught the basics of sane internet use, is most
likely to click one of those thousands of other links, almost all the
time - most often from "Referring" Faceblock, Gargoyle and Twatter.

Again, any (security or otherwise) benefit from our breaking of links
around these relatively unknown parts of the web, will be utterly
drowned out by all and sundry remainder intersected set of the Internet.

Now, if that were still a net security benefit, I would personally still
be inclined to break my links, to benefit the rare one who might
otherwise click my link from the cp archives and thereby give an extra
two bits of data about themselves to Gargoyle, Factsluts and Twitcher.

But this is not actually the case AFAICT, because, to the extent that we
teach people that clicking random links actually helps NSA/ Google track
them, we are actually failing to educate on the underlying problem -
insecure or tracking-supportive software (MUA, browser), and thus
net-contributing to the problem.

A random and uninformed web surfer who finds a broken link will either
unbreak the link and be irritated, or just move on to somewhere that
links are unbroken.

A not so random informed web surfer will already be using software which
protects to at least limited extents of possible (e.g. text based MUAs
as many folk round here use),

and the balance of users need education - broken links, by themselves,
do not educate, at all - they just cause irritation.

But it's slightly worse (net loss) since that irritation, for the
non-conscientious folks, causes them to skedaddle to some place less
irritating.

If we put a warning next to every link (broken or otherwise), to "get
educated about your privacy, anonymity and other forms of online
security", then we might be going some tiny way towards this education.

But broken links by themselves, in general cannot achieve this - except
perhaps for highly conscientious individuals, who have yet to learn the
issues involved, and who pretty quickly learn such things anyway (if
they don't, they're not conscientious by definition).

Teach you children, and friends who care and are conscientious enough to
bother, as well as you can. That's the most effective thing we can do,
and something I am personally proactive about in my life/ circles of
acquaintances.

tl;dr - I see broken links as a net loss to online benefits/ education
possibilities, without any shadow of a doubt.