New York Times: "Encryption works"

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 16:14:05 PST 2017

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 23:41:16 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/03/11/technology/ap-us-tec-wikileaks-cia-tech-encryption.html
>
> [partial quote]NEW YORK — If the tech industry is drawing one lesson
> from the latest WikiLeaks disclosures, it's that data-scrambling
> encryption works,

	Misleading bullshit. Encryption used in wholly compromised
	hardware (that is, all americunt hardware), doesn't
	work because it doesn't accomplish what's supposed to
	accomplish.

> and the industry should use more of it.Documents
> purportedly outlining a massive CIA surveillance program suggest that
> CIA agents must go to great lengths to circumvent encryption they
> can't break. In many cases, physical presence is required to carry
> off these targeted attacks."We are in a world where if the U.S.
> government wants to get your data, they can't hope to break the
> encryption,"

	so they simply turn on the BIOS/UEFI hardware keylogger -
	keylogger that's actually turned on by default.

> said Nicholas Weaver, who teaches networking and
> security at the University of California, Berkeley. "They have to
> resort to targeted attacks, and that is costly, risky

	stupid lie

> That was because any given internet message gets split
> into a multitude of tiny "packets," each of which traces its own
> unpredictable route across the network to its destination.The
> realization that spy agencies had figured out that problem spurred
> efforts to better shield data as it transits the internet. A few
> services such as Facebook's WhatsApp followed the earlier example of
> Apple's iMessage and took the extra step of encrypting data in ways
> even the companies couldn't unscramble,

	more stupid lies

> a method called end-to-end
> encryption.CHALLENGES FOR AUTHORITIESIn the past, spy agencies like
> the CIA could have hacked servers at WhatsApp or similar services to
> see what people were saying. End-to-end encryption, though, makes
> that prohibitively difficult. So the CIA has to resort to tapping
> individual phones and intercepting data before it is encrypted or
> after it's decoded.It's much like the old days when "they would have
> broken into a house to plant a microphone,"

	except for the little detail that all hardware is compromised
	and working as spying devices by default.

	The partially quoted article is a chemically pure example of
	government propaganda and hopefully was offered as such...