If this doesn't define what TOR really is, what does?

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Thu Mar 9 06:00:22 PST 2017

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 01:21:28PM -0500, John Newman wrote:

> > On Mar 8, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:
> > All that said, I do think the method the FBI says it used to bust the
> > Playpen trash would have been both practical, more cost effective and
> > easier to sell as "legal" in Court than farming it out to the NSA.
>

> The firefox malware seems logical, probably the easiest way to
> bust the site users...   but only after the FBI took the server
> over.
>
> It was a tor hidden service, and i don't remember any details
> being given about how they physically located the server in the
> first place?

I did a brief google search and the EFF has some info on this case
at -

https://www.eff.org/pages/playpen-cases-frequently-asked-questions#whathappened

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/09/playpen-story-fbis-unprecedented-and-illegal-hacking-operation

As to how the FBI found the tor hidden service in the first place,
the claim is simply that they recieved a tip that the hidden service
playpen's "actual IP address was publicly visible."

Specifically, "The tip the FBI received pointed out that Playpen
was misconfigured, and its actual IP address was publicly available
and appeared to resolve to a location within the U.S. "

So I guess that (maybe?) answers that.

John