Police: We're Taking Your DNA, Abusing It / You / Privacy, and We Don't Give A Fuck

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 14:37:46 PST 2017

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DNA_DATABASES
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/02/san-diego-police-targets-african-american-children-unlawful-dna-collection

Associated Press: Dozens of police departments around the U.S. are
amassing their own DNA databases to track criminals, a move critics
say is a way around regulations governing state and national databases
that restrict who can provide genetic samples and how long that
information is held. The local agencies create the rules for their
databases, in some cases allowing samples to be taken from children or
from people never arrested for a crime. Police chiefs say having their
own collections helps them solve cases faster because they can avoid
the backlogs that plague state and federal repositories...
Frederick Harran, the public safety director in Bensalem Township,
Pennsylvania...said he knows of about 60 departments using local
databases... "The local databases have very, very little regulations
and very few limits, and the law just hasn't caught up to them," said
Jason Kreig, a law professor at the University of Arizona who has
studied the issue.
One ACLU attorney cites a case where local police officers in
California took DNA samples from children without even obtaining a
court order first.