The role of antivirus in security

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Jun 17 12:57:49 PDT 2017

On 06/16/2017 04:17 AM, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/legal/website-security#
>
> | (1) Ensure you have anti-virus protection installed, and that it is up to date.
> | (2) Keep your operating system and software up to date as these protect against the latest security threats.
> | (3) Protect your computer with a password and keep the password secret.
>
> Does (1) makes much sense?
> Does the order (1), (2) make any sense?

Would running an operating system incompatible with 100% of the viruses
in the wild count as anti-virus protection? That's worked for me a hell
of a lot better than proprietary scanners which really just enumerate
badness [1] and are thus doomed to eventual failure.

The order of (1) and (2) don't really matter as they are really about
equal. In my case, they essentially amount to the same thing.

[1]: http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com