IMSI catcher detection and mapping (via crowdsourcing)

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Sun Jun 4 04:59:12 PDT 2017

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 3:31 PM, M373 <M373 at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Some U-Washington researchers are working on a potentially very
> interesting project of using sensors and statistical analysis to
> identify where cell site simulators are being used, which could scale to
> city or larger size, providing a snapshot as well as ongoing dataset to
> ascertain patterns. One would need spatial and temporal density to
> maximize probability of capture given the ephemeral nature of deployed
> cell simulators.
>
> https://seaglass.cs.washington.edu/
> https://seaglass-web.s3.amazonaws.com/SeaGlass___PETS_2017.pdf
> https://github.com/seaglass-project/seaglass

All this talk really makes me want to get back to playing with OpenBTS, you can make your own stingray-lite for probably a few hundred bucks....  but then, unless you have a specific and probably very criminal need for it, I'm not sure it would ever be more than a toy.

On a per-phone level there are or were some interesting apps to detect cell site simulators, e.g.

https://github.com/CellularPrivacy/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector

The seaglass stuff does look really interesting. There's an article that just popped up about it a couple days ago -

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/02/who-catches-the-imsi-catchers-researchers-demonstrate-stingray-detection-kit/