Welcome to Anarchast

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 22:34:14 PDT 2017

 From: Jason McVetta <jason.mcvetta at gmail.com>

On Jul 14, 2017 11:53, "jim bell" <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

I've long believed that people should stop using the term "capitalism" when they probably mean, "free market".  "capitalism" might be the 1800 equivalent of "crowdfunding".

>I agree people should use the word "capitalism" more sparingly.  However it's not because most people mean "free market" when they use the term.
>Rather it's because some people mean "free market", whatever that means.  Some mean "the dominance of economy and society by mechanistic usury".  Some mean "democracy", whatever that means.  Some mean "American style police state tyranny".  And some mean "the actually-existing socioeconomic system in America today".
>The profusion of definitions in use, and the sometimes fuzzy boundaries between them, make the word "capitalism" not very useful for communication without a lot of context.
I agree with all of that.  This amounts to a vague mish-mash of meanings, where the meanings themselves can be gravely in error.  Yes, some people refer to the American system as "free market", which I think is laughably inaccurate!  If anything, I think the reason that governments support Riseup (sorta behind the scenes) is actually to keep true "free markets" at bay.  I have long believed that we would be much better off with a true, anarchistic free market (which some call "anarcho-capitalism")  with what we currently call "government" dissolved.
          Jim Bell