Welcome to Anarchast

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Jul 14 05:05:33 PDT 2017

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 12:36 AM, Rachael <ractack at mail.com> wrote:
>
> All this talk of Riseup being anti-capitalist and people being selective
> about their invites is rather amusing.
>
> Maybe people on this listserve are not aware that Riseup.net (along with
> LEAP) are listed as receiving over $250,000 USD from government funding.
> And that was only the funding which could be confirmed. The few public
> records I did receive are full of heavy redactions. Netherlands and
> Sweden still have classified documents, but refuse to release them.
> Along with some European governments, the US Department of State was
> also involved in this funding mechanism.
>
> I would really like Riseup.net to publicly say whether or not Riseup.net
> still receives government funding or support. Hopefully, Riseup.net will
> publicly disclose the funding it has received.
>
> Link to documentation (use search term "riseup")
> http://piratetimes.net/wp-uploads/news/2015/02/Q1-DDP-2014.pdf

This is why I feel it's a good idea to own your domain name, your own physical server, and run software you've configured yourself as much as possible - including your email server.

Obviously having a colo'd mail server you maintain yourself doesn't solve everything - do you trust the data center? Don't forget anything sent plain text over the wire is liable for trivial interception by US/allied SIGINT apparatus...  And there is some cost involved, although at least these costs are up front and don't involve fuck-knows-what happening with whatever private data you provided to google or yahoo (or riseup ;)