Scientists Run For Office (alongside Cpunks)

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:39:55 PST 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Razer <g2s at riseup.net> wrote:
> AltUSNatParkService @AltNatParkSer
> https://twitter.com/AltNatParkSer

Much on that stream including...

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/thanks-to-trump-scientists-are-planning-to-run-for-office/514229/

Prof. Smith Goes to Washington

scientists are preparing to run for political office.

Darren Hauck / Getty

For American science, the next four years look to be challenging. The
newly inaugurated President Trump, and many of his Cabinet picks, have
repeatedly cast doubt upon the reality of human-made climate change,
questioned the repeatedly proven safety of vaccines. Since the
inauguration, the administration has already frozen grants and
contracts by the Environmental Protection Agency and gagged
researchers at the US Department of Agriculture. Many scientists are
asking themselves: What can I do?

And the answer from a newly formed group called 314 Action is: Get elected.

The organization, named after the first three digits of pi, is a
political action committee that was created to support scientists in
running for office. It’s the science version of Emily’s List, which
focuses on pro-choice female candidates, or VoteVets, which backs war
veterans. “A lot of scientists traditionally feel that science is
above politics but we’re seeing that politics is not above getting
involved in science,” says founder Shaughnessy Naughton. “We’re
losing, and the only way to stop that is to get more people with
scientific backgrounds at the table.”