Meltdown of the Phantom Snowflakes

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jan 16 14:13:13 PST 2017

Article is just too long, a tld;dr - although I got about half way
through, this is one of the problem with "muh feels" - that it ain't
true feels if I don't take 10 pages to thrash something to death.

An observation or three:

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 05:24:39PM +0100, No wrote:
> http://thebaffler.com/blog/meltdown-phantom-snowflakes-penny#

> “Are you a strong woman?”
>
> The camera crew wanted a snappy answer.

Presumptuous - projection of "knowledge" about the thoughts and
feelings of another human.

> I’d spent the previous three hours trying and failing to get out of bed,

This person needs professional help. Or a good root.

> “I think that’s the wrong question to ask,” I said, trying to speak
> clearly, and letting my eyes drift towards the horizon in an effort to
> pass off bewilderment as profundity.

Deceiver. Intentional dishonesty.

> I’ve never thought of myself as a
> strong person, in any sense—I’m small, sensitive, prone to anxious
> overthinking; moved to anger, I’m far more likely to cry than throw a
> puncha

--Really-- needs professional help.

> As politics turn darker, these slurs have become weaponized.

Meaningless sensationalist fake speak ("weaponised").

> Something bigger is going on.

Conspiracy!

>     Much of modern life is traumatic, unbearable, and profoundly
>     frightening.

Did I mention the author (couldn't tell if it was male or female)
might need some serious professional help?

> We live in a culture that venerates wellness and self-improvement, both
> as industry and personal discipline.

So? We should venerate sickness and self destruction? Like, wow!

> Yet the strategies of modern
> cultural production are bent constantly towards the repression of
> emotion,

I guess it's repression of it's emotions is demonstrated by the news
crew interviewing it, and the inability to communicate to the world it's
every nuance of said emotions in a blog or news article, with plenty of
"moderation" to ensure a warm safe space feels bubble. Oh wait ...

I'll assume the rest is just as full of such tripe as the first half
was ...