[OT] I Have a Dream - Martin Luther King, Jr.

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jan 15 16:57:29 PST 2017

On 1/16/2017 10:05 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Many on this list (myself included) do not live an America - can you
> please summarize in a half sentence, the difference between VAWA and
> Title IX?

Not in half a sentence:

VAWA:  Violence Against Women Act.
effect is that in any dispute, police are required to assume the man is
in the wrong and the woman in the right.

Title IX:  is a portion of the United States Education Amendments of
1972, prohibiting discrimination against women.   The major absurd
effect is that women are supposed to be just as athletic as men, and if
they are not, male physical activity must be punished and discouraged.
Also effectively discourages teaching geometry or any area of academics
were women perform egregiously worse than men, but by far the biggest
and most absurd effect is on sports, because that is the area where
female underperformance is most egregious.

But academic areas where women perform better than men, or it can be
pretended that they do, are just fine.  Title IX prohibits
discrimination against women, but not against men.  Any unequal outcomes
to women's disfavor must be the result of evil hateful misogyny, but any
unequal outcomes to women's favor must be the result of the fact that
women are wonderful.

The practical consequence of Title IX is that despite the fact that
women perform lower than men on IQ tests, and have considerably less
motive than men to get an education, women are massively over
represented in education.  (Which under Title IX does not count as
discrimination, though any under representation of women in in any
specific area, such as sports, does count as discrimination.)