Do you have predictions about 2017?

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Fri Jan 6 22:22:00 PST 2017

On 01/06/2017 11:09 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> 2017 will have more Flubby, Poki and Nimbus.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKm48e2kEKs

I Predict:

* More conflict between U.S. State power and "civil society" groups.

Now that the DNC can safely "point fingers" at joint DemoPublican
policies that are offensive to Liberals, a big well funded push for
"protest rally" level actions will happen.  Radical factions will use
these events as recruiting venues and may often succeed in co-opting
the message.

* A paradigm shift from Protest to Direct Action in populist politics.

Example:  Last year's rapid assembly of a larger than battalion
strength force of veterans in defense of the Standing Rock action:
The Home Team wants that to be a watershed event setting a big
precedent, the Other Guys want it to be a one-off fluke which will not
be seen again.  I think the resulting war for hearts, minds, wallets
and feet will present something Our Side can work with.

* New alliances between formerly Left and Right activists.

As shit continues to get more real on a week to week basis, a lot of
people who "thought they were" Liberal or Conservative because they
identified with emotional appeals wired into one or the other flavor
of propaganda will start to actually think about politics for the
first time.  Not many will go rogue, but those who do will be
disproportionately influential.

* NeoLiberal billionaires will wage covert wars on U.S. soil.

This is pure crystal ball stuff, don't ask me to explain why:  When I
load my current "war map" of the world in my imagination and run it, I
see private armies at work all over the U.S.  Their principal targets
will be economic and political.  Deniability will be their watchword,
exposure their Achilles' heel.

* No net gain or loss on the network privacy/security front.

Real progress on technical fronts will be counter balanced by growing
popular demand for fully automatic security, hidden behind a seamless
User Experience design paradigm.  Don't bother telling folks that
total ignorance and reliable security are mutually exclusive; they
want an instant E-Z one step solution, and Millennials seem to think
this is a human right.