Did you ever change your political/social views after trolling in a cpunks thread?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Feb 24 21:19:56 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 05:29:55PM +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
> Did you ever change your political/social views after trolling in a
> cpunks thread?

I used to only really conceive of "democracy" and variations - thanks to
a "modern schooling", vague nations of "libertarianism" as "a bit more
democratic" was about the limit of my thinking. I mean, "democracy came
from ancient Greece right, so that's why we have democracy, since that's
all there is."

This was the think.

Then I learn there's something called "direct democracy" which is in
Switzerland or something, and somewhere read (with a little shock) that
"anarchy" is actually a well studied and popular political system.

But for many years I never knew what that meant.

Then cypherpunks, and Juan spoke (and of course Steve Kinney, Razer and
others piled in with very interesting links to reading material). But
Juan dammit, just kept hammering that we don't live in anything like
democracy (can't be denied), and that anarchy is the only truly free
"system" (if it can be called that), where no man is compelled to
perform except by his own consent. I mean, what a radical idea right?
(as in, it sounds so obvious that that's how things should be).

And "the modern demoncratic state" keeps offering its "security" and
appeasement (for many this means "free stuff"), but it's simply,
fundamentally, morally and ethically, not right.

The only open question is how to get there, from here, given the
thoroughly indoctrinated humans we share this ole planet with.

The easy part is "live and let others damn well live their lives as they
choose".

The really hard part is convincing others that this is a good idea.

SMDH!